Hey there! I know that everyone in blogland is sharing their Christmas home tours this week but we are still doing our kitchen reno so I thought I’d share a quick post about our DIY custom range hood that I just finished.
I’ll take you way back to January when we started this project. We have a really small galley kitchen and this, obviously, is the wall with the range.
As you can see, we had a stainless steel range hood and I knew from the beginning that it was going to go. I wanted something custom that went with my newly painted white cabinets so the hubs worked his magic and took the old hood apart and used the guts to build a new one. You can read about how we built it here.
This is what I shared with you in May, it was built and installed but not painted. I still wanted to add molding to it but we had a few issues to work out. The biggest issue was space or, should I say, lack of space. Because the cabinets doors are so close to the range hood, there was no extra room for any kind of molding on the side.
I was a bit disappointed but there was nothing to be done, so
we I went with Plan B…put molding on the face of the range hood. Sounds easy, right? Well, convincing the hubs to do it took me almost 6 months. He wasn’t sure how we were going to attach the molding without drilling holes and using nails to secure it, which is something he didn’t want to do. Month after month I would nag him we would discuss it (I don’t give up easily). I would draw him pictures, share images I found on Pinterest and he still fought it. Finally, last month I went to Home Depot and bought the wood myself. Once he saw what I wanted to use, he warmed up to the idea and the project continued. Here is the range hood painted and the cabinet doors back where they belong…thank goodness! 😉
So we ended up using thin poplar boards, instead of regular molding. It’s lightweight and has smooth edges when it’s cut, unlike some less expensive wood boards. Best of all, we only paid about $12 for a couple of boards, bringing the grand total to just under $50 for the completed project.
We kept it simple and framed the outside of the range hood with a plank going down the center. To glue the boards down we used caulk and then taped them up to keep everything in place.
We did have a couple of corners pop up but the hubs just drilled a pilot hole and used a small nail to push it down. Once it was dry I caulked all around, sanded the wood and primed and painted it.
I know that it doesn’t have the same detail that the cabinet doors have, but I really love the simplicity. It’s just enough detail to give the range hood a little something extra.
I also wanted to share a fun accomplishment for little old Chatfield Court. I wrote a tutorial for barn wood shelves for Reloved, a publication from the UK, and it was published in their December issue. I was so excited to hear that it would be published but I was even more thrilled when my copy arrived via Royal mail. My barn wood shelves were on the cover too!
It was so fun to see my name in a magazine.
Ok, enough fun. Time to get back to decorating the house for Christmas. I was hoping that the reno mess would be long gone but I’ll be decorating around it. Hope you have a great weekend!
Here’s few other kitchen reno projects we’ve finished.