Now that I’ve finished my master bedroom, it’s time to move on to one of the guest rooms (I have 2). I thought I would try something different and make up a mood board so I can show you the plan for this room. Things may change along the way, but I will share everything that I change/do.
This room is one of my favorites because it has a big, lovely bookcase built-in and crown molding around the whole room. The room is small, just like all the bedrooms, but I can fit all the furniture that is necessary to make my guests (mostly my 2 girls that come home to visit) comfortable. I am starting with a room that has the same swine colored walls as all the other rooms in the house, but there are nice hardwood floors and really good natural light.
I am going to use some bold colors in this room…teal (walls), lime green (lamp and accessories), and crisp white (bed linens, bookcase). I don’t want to spend a lot of money, so I will be searching Craigslist for things like a dresser, nightstand, and headboard. *Just a note that I am not affiliated with any of the products shown. They are items I found online that I like for my room.
- I will continue using Benjamin Moore White Dove for the trim (that I’ve used in all the other rooms so far), and I will also paint the bookcase with it. The walls will be painted something bold, like Benjamin Moore Slate Teal 2058-20. I’ve never painted a room this bold before, so it should be interesting. 😉
- I am going to go with simple bedding, white sheets and a grey coverlet with some pattern on it.
- This lamp looks like the lamp that I already have, which is the inspiration for this room, that I bought at Home Goods last year. The color makes me happy when I look at it and I wanted to do something fun with it.
- I bought a mirror just like these when I visited Denver in November. I’m hoping to use it on the wall. I also want to get some other artwork but haven’t found any inspiration for it yet. Any ideas?
- The bed…I have admired this bed for quite a while and, though I know I won’t be buying this exact bed for the room, I would like to find something similar. Maybe painted white?
- I already have a nightstand that is a few years old, and really, there’s nothing wrong with it. I would like to find something else…something simple like this lovely nightstand.
- I had grasscloth wallpaper in one of my rooms in my house in Florida, and loved it. I want to try to use it somewhere in this house and I thought maybe I could use it on the back of the bookcase shelves. It might be too much with the bold colors so I’m not sure it will be used this time around.
- I want to put some accents of green in the bookcase. I’m looking forward to decorating the bookcase.
- Since the bedding will be white and gray, I will bring some of the room’s fun colors into pillows on the bed…like this and this.
- I have a dresser in the room now but it’s really too big for the space, and we don’t need anything that big, so I am going to look for something smaller with simple lines…like this.
Ok, that’s the plan. It will be fun to see how well I stick to it. I’ve been thinking about this room since we moved in last July, so I’m pretty sure I won’t stray too far. You never know when you physically start a room what will happen, do you? I’ve got lots to do, starting with pulling out the cracking caulk around the ceiling. Fun times I tell ya (especially when you have to stand on a stool with a boot on your broken foot)! I will check in often with updates.
Have you ever used a mood board when you are redoing a room?