Good Monday to you all. I hope you had a great weekend. I am almost ready to show you my finished living/dining/entry, but I wanted to share another project with you. I was almost done and something about the entryway was bugging me. The walls are painted gray, the woodwork white, and the door is BM Blue Lake, here and here. (I will share the details of the paint I used after I share the redo pictures.) Anywho, something didn’t seem right in the entryway and I realized it was the piece of granite on the knee wall, separating the dining area from the entryway. It’s nice and there is nothing wrong with it, but it’s green and, although I love green, it doesn’t really go with the colors of my room, so I asked my husband if he could build a cap to go over the green granite.
This is an easy project to do and it cost less than $35 for supplies. My husband just bought a piece of pine and two pieces of primed pine molding, we already had primer, paint and caulk. He used his chop saw to cut the molding into three pieces and the piece of pine (it was already the width he wanted so he just had to cut it to the length he needed). Once all the wood was cut, he put the pieces together. He used a piece of scrap wood, that he had cut to the exact width of the green granite, as a guide for his molding placement. He simply nailed it into the pine plank and then placed the molding around it. We wanted a firm fit, without the chance of having it shift around, and this trick guaranteed that it would be snug.
After the molding was in place, he drilled small pilot holes into the molding so that the wood wouldn’t split when he put the nails in. He didn’t go all the way into the pine plank itself because he said that it wasn’t necessary. Two pilot holes were drilled in the small piece and four were drilled into each of the two long pieces.
Next he just nailed the molding to the pine plank and set the nails into the molding using a larger nail (he did this because he didn’t want the hammer to make dents on the wood while he was hammering the nails in).
Once all the nails were set, he removed the scrap piece of wood that was his spacing guide, and sanded the molding and the plank. Now it was ready for primer and paint (which was my job). I first caulked all of the nail holes. Then I primed both the top of the pine plank and the molding, sanded, then painted everything with my white trim paint. I lightly sanded again, and then painted one more coat of white.
Once it was dry, my husband used caulk to put four quarter sized dabs on the top of the green granite. (We used caulk so that if we ever want to remove the cap, it should come off without damaging anything.) Then he laid a bead of caulk on the end that went against the wall. We pressed it into place, fixed up the caulk that squished out, and we were done.
It only took my husband about an hour to build the cap, and it took me about an hour to paint and sand it (not including drying time). It took us about 10 minutes to caulk it and place it on the wall. It’s a nice, snug fit, and now it matches the color of my woodwork in the house. This was an easy and cheap project that finishes off my entryway.
You get to see a bit of my room, but it is not finished here, or styled. I will be sharing photos of the finished room on Wednesday. 🙂
Thanks so much for visiting.