Check out these 5 tips for small space living: living rooms.
We’ve lived in 10 different homes during our marriage but this home, at just under 1200 square feet, is the smallest. Our house in Florida was just a bit bigger but seemed much larger than this house. I think it’s just the way this house is laid out that makes it seem so small.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see our Disclosure for more info.
Anyway, learning to live with less space has definitely been a challenge. I’m not big on collecting and I have no problem letting go of unnecessary items, so that’s been a big plus, but I have definitely had to scale back. I thought I would share some of the things I’ve learned this past year starting with the living room.
5 Small Space Living Tips for the Living Room
Please pin from original source.
1. Our living room may look large in photos but it’s combined with the dining and entryway. The actual living area is small but it has a large window which helps it look bigger. It also faces North which means we don’t get a lot of light. So, to keep the room from looking closed in and dark, I ended up dressing the window simply with bamboo shades and no curtains.
2. Because there isn’t a lot of surface area for decor, I have to be very particular about what I buy and display. I’ve learned that if I see something I like, I need to be really sure that I have a place to put it. I’ve had to pass on a lot of things I really liked but it is, after all, just “stuff” and I’ve actually saved a lot of money by not buying.
Having a lot of things in a small room could also make it look small and cluttered, so I try to choose larger items rather than lots of little things to display.
3. I have had to find furniture that I could use for extra storage. The cabinet that the tv sits on also houses my camera equipment, our cable box, wii, dvds, cds and lots of other stuff that I like to keep out of view. I got an ottoman from Target that also has storage and I put a few blankets in there to use on those cold winter nights.
You’ll also notice that I haven’t used any end tables. I tried, but they just didn’t work in this room. Instead I use the ottoman and a few wooden stools so we can put drinks down. I love double-duty furniture.
4. My next tip would be to paint your walls using light colors to help the space look bigger. I painted my living room with BM Thunder and it turned out to be too dark for the space so I had to repaint. After the awful winter we had, the color just seemed depressing to me.
5. I have found that using mirrors in my small space definitely helps to open it up and adds extra light. I’ve used three in my room and I think it makes a huge difference.
That’s my 5 biggest tips for the living room. There are many more and I hope to touch on them as we move on to other rooms. Of course I’m still learning so if I come across anything, I’ll definitely share.
Do you have any small space living tips? Do tell.
Check out my other small space living tips for bathrooms and kitchens.