It’s built and it’s in. Our DIY bed for the 2nd guest bedroom, that we started a bajillion years ago, is finally done. I have to give major props to my mister because he did almost everything on this one. I designed it and primed and painted it, but he did all the building.
If you are new here, we have been busy redoing our 2nd guest bedroom the last several months. I’ve installed a planked wall, made a light fixture, added crown molding and painted the ceiling, trim and walls (you can read about these projects here, here and here).
This is a small room, and a walk through from the kitchen to the back of the house, so a traditional full-sized bed wouldn’t work in here. We had a futon in here that we used in Florida for a similar type room but I’ve always hated the look of it so I
begged asked Mr. Chatfield Court (Mr. C²) if he would build me a platform bed.
My original plan was to build a single sized bed, but after considering what my girls would sleep on if they ever brought their significant others home, a single bed just wouldn’t be practical, so we made it full size using the futon mattress (which is actually a really good and really comfortable mattress).
After looking at all the options for wood, we decided to use MDF (medium density fiberboard) to keep costs down. At around $35 for each sheet, we bought 4, it was cheaper than using real wood and, because I’m going to paint it, real wood would have just been a waste.
I went with a simple design, just a platform bed with some storage underneath and wheels so I could easily move it. It’s essentially just 2 boxes put together and, since MDF is very heavy, building it this way made it easier to take in the house. Extra wood was used on the end to create a frame and add a little dimension.
Mr. C² attached pieces of wood inside the boxes for extra support to keep the wood from warping under pressure of body weight. He used wood glue and screws to secure everything.
The wheels were the last thing to be attached. We used 6, 3 lock and 3 do not. I won’t be able to lock the ones in the back, against the wall, so there was no point in spending the extra bucks for locking wheels.
Here is the room after the futon was taken apart…ready for the new bed.
The circled wood pieces on the bottom of the one box are the supports to hold it up so it won’t sag.
Done with the assembly and ready for primer and paint, which is my job. I filled all of the screw holes and seams, sanded, primed and painted it with 3 coats of BM White Dove.
It took me a while but it’s finished and I’m loving the results. The mattress is from our old futon, so all we needed were a few pretty pillows (affiliate link) and a fluffy throw.
I found baskets in the perfect size ( similar here, affiliate link) and added a couple of number plaques by simply sticking them on.
To keep the futon mattress from sliding around, I used some rug padding under it and it worked like a charm. Now we’re ready for guests!
Edited: I’ve been getting a ton of comments and emails from people asking for the dimensions of our bed. We custom made the bed to specifically fit our full-size futon mattress.
Check out another project that we did to get this room ready for guests.
The DIY barn wood shelves…
and the completed guest bedroom reveal.